Friday, December 4, 2020

Meet Gretchen, the sassy little German mädchen from Neckarsulm and Zuffenhausen!

 


In November of 2019, after many years of dreaming, planning, and saving, and after two years of actual searching, I located and purchased this Zermatt Silver 1988 Porsche 944S in pretty decent, but not quite perfect shape.

It had been well taken care of by a conscientious third owner in St Louis, Missouri. This blog will be a chronicle of all of the work I've done (and will be doing) to get her in top shape, right from the first day Gretchen arrived in my driveway up until the present. 

The idea was to buy a 944 in good, driveable condition that would need little or no work, and to drive it home from wherever I happened to purchase the car. The car had to be silver with a black interior, and, as my search progressed and I learned more about these beautiful cars, had to be the more powerful and much rarer S version. 

It was mid-November, and the weather was closing in. Early on I had decided that the car was not going to be driven in salt or snow, and so I decided to have the car shipped home to Dayton, Ohio. This brief (shaky) video shows Gretchen being loaded onto the trailer in St. Louis,  and off again at her new home in Dayton three days later!

As you'll see in future posts, shipping Gretchen home turned out to be a very fortuitous decision...

No comments:

Post a Comment